Freitag, 20. Juni 2008

You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine.

. . .

Yeah. The title of this post is that crappy.

I just re-watched the trailer of "Sunshine", and it reminded me of how much I love this movie - and Danny Boyle.

Okay, to be honest, his movies just freak me out. I mean, the seriously scare me. The have something so subtle.
Take "28 Day Later..." for instance. Except for that monkey-opening-sequence, and the thing after the church, and the thing in the house of the parents... well, okay, stuff happens. But in between there are sequences full of peace and beauty (the horses, for example - no pun intended), but all the time you feel that things aren't nice and quiet, but pretty frikkin', soddin' bad.

So in "Sunshine", there's that whole aspect of loneliness.

SPOILER!

When the first character, the captain, dies, there instantly is this disquieting
feeling of forsakenness. He was a kind of father-figure, a reasonable, down-to-earth leader, and he is, of all the eight astronauts, the first person that dies.
Leaves the very nervous and obviously incapable second-in-command guy to be the captain.
Then there's the one guy who's suicidal, because he blames himself for everything.

There is this one amazing scene, pretty close to the show-down, where the remaining four crew-members decide to kill the suicidal guy. And it's seriously one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen.
Do they make the right decision? Yeah. Of course you can't save one person and sacrifice the rest of humanity.
But you can't really say that anyone is thoroughly convinced.

Here's a really nice music video (with a song from "Silent Hill 4: The Room" - ooh, yeah!).
Again, major spoilers!

Keine Kommentare: