Freitag, 24. Oktober 2008

GameReview: Kane and Lynch: Dead Men

Kane and Lynch: Dead Men was the first ever action, shooter game I legally purchased. Exactly. That's how cool I am.

Even though I finished the game months ago (thank you, Cheatsville!) I only now feel like writing something about it.

Okay, here's the story: Kane is a former member of The 7 (a criminal gang doing criminal stuff - you know the deal) and he is on his way to death row, when suddenly the truck he is being transported in has a head-on collusion. It's not long though before Kane realized this is not a rescue - it's an abduction.
He is teamed up with Lynch, a medicated psychopath (and probably one of the most amazing characters in any game ever), who is supposed to keep an eye on him while Kane retrieves something he once stole from The 7, and which they now want back. And as you can imagine, things soon start going out of control and Kane and Lynch are, well... practically dead men.

I don't like aggressive, brutal games, I'll say that right away. And I really don't like playing them. I'm a lover, not a builder, you know? I'm currently watching every second of Silent Hill: The Room and Alone In The Dark 5, but I'd never, ever play them, simply because it scares me. Hell, I pee my pants when I switch on Tomb Raider!
But it was completely different with Kane and Lynch. Okay, I was invincible. Yes, I had unlimited ammo. But at least I didn't have to try getting through a level 8, maybe 9 times.

It's a great game. It's got brains (it was made by IO Interactive), and that's what makes it so special. The characters are not only existent but also entertaining, the story is fast and fun, and the game play is very comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was that the game was pretty short (it took me about 2 weeks to beat it, including school and that) and I don't think there's enough movement freedom: even though the levels do look graphically great, it would have been even better if you could have more places to walk around.

Of course, a sequel and a movie (with, it is rumored, Bruce Willis as Kane and Billy Bob Thornton as Lynch - should be the other way around!) are already in the making.
But I really think that this is going to be a great franchise, maybe even better that IO's other baby, Hitman.

Keine Kommentare: