Dienstag, 12. August 2008

The Triumph Of Caeser


So I'm reading this really amazing book, called The Triumph Of Caesar (duh!) by Steven Saylor.

I'm all into ancient Rome. I mean, that's my far my favorite era. It started when I watched Rome, that HBO show a couple of years back. And the character I was most fascinated by was Marcus Junius Brutus. He was played by Tobias Menzies, and he was a really dramatic, suffering and ill-fated person., and amazingly well portrayed.
So then I found out that the Rome Brutus was completely fictionalized. It kind of broke my heart, and I made a break from reading Ellis and O'Connor and Eugenides (not bragging) and read two books by Robert Harris, Pompeii (which was about the eruption of the Vesuvius) and Imperium(a Marcus Tullius Cicero biography). And Brutus wasn't in either of them. So that was sad (but those were amazing books!).
And then, the week before last, when I was in England, I found The Triumph and bought it, not even really hoping for Brutus to be in it. And guess what? He totally plays a kind of important part in the book. Guess again. He's pretty arrogant and sort of snobbish, smart, nonetheless, but not the Brutus I liked so much.
I mean, I frikking love him now.

So anyway.

I'm totally too old to fall in love with musicians or whatever. It's Brutus now. He's my historical crush.

Oh, and watch Rome if you can!

Keine Kommentare: