Sonntag, 20. Juli 2008

Lunar Park and Memory Lapse

For some reason, ever since I have started reading Bret Easton Ellis, whenever I read a passage in a book and it moves or fascinates me, I start learning it by heart.
Not on purpose. Not to recite it when the time has come, but just because these sentences get stuck in my head.
I can quote the entire first page of Ellis’ The Rules Of Attraction. Why? I don’t know. It doesn’t really serve any purpose.
I can tell you exactly what happens in every single chapter of Martha O’Connor’s The Bitch Goddess Notebook. I can lead hours of discussion about the deeper meaning of movies like 28 Days Later... or tell you everything that happened in Lost (well, almost everything... come on, it’s Lost!)
I couldn’t tell you what the Pythagorean theorem is about if it would safe my life, but ask me who Julius Caesar’s lover was, or what Marcus Tullius Cicero did to become one of Rome’s greatest lawyers.

And the only reason why I know this stuff is because I’m interested in it? That’s not really fair of my brain, is it?
But how can you trick yourself into liking something? Is there even a way?
The way my brain works is not fair.

1 Kommentar:

Ronin hat gesagt…

Hey Poppanna,

I am going to safe your life :)

Pythagoras is one of my favourite Greek dudes. His famous theorem sounds very complicated, but that is only because mathematicians like to sound important. In fact, the theorem is pretty easy. If you like, I'll give you a free lesson of old dudes theorems

:) whey-hey, rock n' roll, perpendicular angles...